Monday, March 7, 2011

Octomom

Everyone remembers the Ocotomom.  Today I was watching her on Oprah (from a while back) and first thing when I saw her thought "what a physco mom!"  Like other people thought why the heck would a single mother that already had 6 kids of her own that hardly could afford them have 8 MORE???  Well on Oprah she Nadya confessed she was running out of money and didn’t know where her next paycheck was coming from.
In an effort to help, Oprah suggested that Nadya get a financial intervention from money powerhouse Suze Orman.  Which I absolutely love love!  I think she is brilliant!)

On the Show:

Oprah: If you're watching at home, it's very easy to judge [and say], look how many kids [she had]. But how many of you had two and then had another one when you knew you couldn’t afford the two?

Suze: And that's the point. That’s a big, big point. ... If you can't afford one and you have two, if you can’t afford two and you have three, if you can't afford three and you have four...are you really that much different from what is happening here? I'm just asking you to think about it.

Oprah: And also, for [Nadya], the addiction is babies and medicating herself—literally. I think that's a great term that you call it: self-medicating with children. People do it with their things all the time. How many people have things that they can't afford, and then they go get something else that they can’t afford, living in houses they can’t afford?

This made me think how many people are having babies because they WANT them BUT can't AFFORD them?  Do you think you should continue having children if you CAN'T afford them?

2 comments:

Annie Nielson said...

Absolutely not! My worst fear is not being able to provide for my kids or having to send them to bed hungry, ugh. I could never have kids if I KNEW I couldn't afford them. But everyone has different ideas. That Octomom is a nut case. Can you imagine having to clothe and feed that many teenagers?? YIKES!

Audrey said...

I actually saw this episode too. She is crazy. It was funny how she wouldnt look at Suzie she would turn and only talk to Oprah. :)